Create belonging to attract and retain the best people this year
It’s all of those things. But a You may have heard that Employee Value Proposition (EVP) is about salary, holidays, flexibility, values, engagement and workplace. This definition might have been extended to include the employee experience and the employer brand.
real EVP is also about something more: BELONGING.
Belonging is about giving your people a sense of meaning, connection, belief, control and feeling good in the workplace. It’s about something less corporate and more human.
Why does belonging matter? Because, on the downside, over half of people would leave an organisation if they didn’t think they belonged (according to the 2023 randstad work monitor).
On the upside, belonging can lead to a 50% reduction in turnover risk. Even better, it can lead to a 56% increase in job performance.
But how do you build belonging?
Here are some of the many factors we consider when helping organisations create a culture that builds belonging…
- Activate your Employee Value Proposition: A good EVP encompasses financial and career opportunities, work-life balance, employee experience, and company culture. It also captures what you expect from employees in return. Most importantly, an EVP that’s brought to life across a business builds employees’ sense of belonging.
- Encourage open communication: Foster open and transparent communication channels. Encourage colleagues to share ideas, concerns, and feedback freely. Actively listen to their needs and concerns and address them promptly.
- Encourage personal development and celebrate achievements: Support and encourage personal and professional development opportunities for colleagues. This can include training programs, mentorship, or career advancement opportunities. When employees feel supported in their growth, they are more likely to feel a sense of belonging.
- Foster a sense of purpose: Clearly communicate the organisation’s mission, vision, and values. Measure impact, and help colleagues understand how their work contributes to shared goals and aspirations, it’s easy to lose sight of the bigger picture when working on the daily grind. When employees feel a sense of purpose in their work, they are more likely to feel connected to the organisation.
- Be patient: Building belonging takes time and consistent effort. It requires ongoing commitment to creating an inclusive and supportive culture where every employee feels valued and accepted.
For an informal chat about how to create and activate your EVP, and how to build a culture of belonging that increases your employee retention and boosts performance, just contact firstname.lastname@example.org